If an employee is injured at work, or becomes sick due to their work:
- When an employee sustains an injury as a result of an accident arising out of or in the course of his or her employment, the particulars of the injury should be reported to the employees supervisor who will:
a. ensure injury detail is recorded in the appropriate register
b. arrange for necessary claim forms to be completed
- For any worksite incident, make sure to contact the relevant worksafe authority if applicable.
- In the event of a serious accident where there may be a possibility of Common Law action against the Company, your Company Secretary or other designated officer must be advised immediately.
- Contact your broker at Master Builders Insurance Brokers (MBIB) on 1800 150 888 as soon as possible for instruction on how to handle the claim.
- We will send you the appropriate claims forms for you to fill out.
- Fill out and send us back the claims forms as soon as possible after the occurrence whilst details of the incident is still fresh in the minds of all concerned.
- Our dedicated claims team will then handle your claim and be in contact with all important updates.
- In certain circumstances, your insurer will appoint lawyers to act on their behalf in defending the claim. They may ask you questions or require documentation from you. Please provide this to the lawyers at your earliest convenience.
If you require urgent legal advice, you should contact a lawyer.
However, you should note that you must continue to act as a prudent uninsured, and fight the claim as you would if you didn’t have any insurance.
Legal costs you encounter prior to lawyers being appointed by the insurer may not be covered under your policy. MBIB recommends that if possible, you do not appoint lawyers until directed to do by your insurer.